South San Francisco Police Department
Wild Night at DUI Checkpoint Nets 8 Arrests
The South San Francisco Police Department Traffic Unit conducted a DUI/Drivers License checkpoint on Saturday December 14th on Westborough Boulevard between the hours of 9:00p.m. and 2:00 a.m. Checkpoints are placed in locations that have the greatest opportunity for achieving drunk and drugged driving deterrence and provide the greatest safety for officers and the public.
DUI/Drivers License checkpoints have been shown to lower DUI deaths and injuries. A major component of these checkpoints are the deterrent effects it has on those who might drive drunk or drugged impaired, bringing about more awareness and encouraging everyone to use sober designated drivers.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), checkpoints have provided the most effective documented results of any of the DUI enforcement strategies, while also yielding considerable cost savings of $6 for every $1 spent. Ninety Percent of California drivers approve of checkpoints.
During the checkpoint, officers were kept busy all night long and a total of eight arrests for various offenses were made:
- A total of five drivers were arrested for DUI.
- Of the DUI drivers, one was found to be under the influence of a combination of alcohol and suspected synthetic marijuana (also known as “Spice”). This driver became combative with officers when being placed under arrest. This driver was charged with resisting arrest in addition to the DUI charges.
- Another DUI driver ran a red light, hit a stop sign, and narrowly missed an officer at the screening area, then fled from the police. A short vehicle pursuit ensued before the driver finally yielded and pulled over. This driver was arrested for evading an, officer in addition to the DUI charges.
- While investigating another driver for possible DUI, his passenger exited the car, challenged officers and violently resisted officers’ efforts to control him. This passenger was arrested for being drunk in public.
- Another driver was found to have an outstanding DUI arrest warrant and he was booked at the jail.
The statistics for the DUI Checkpoint were as follows:
- 820 Vehicles Screened
- 4 DUI-Alcohol suspects arrested
- 1 DUI-Drug and alcohol (combined) impaired suspect arrested
- 16 Drivers cited/arrested for operating a vehicle unlicensed or while suspended/revoked
- 3 Arrested on other criminal charges
- 17 Citations issued
The South San Francisco PD will be conducting three additional DUI/Drivers License Checkpoints in the corning year in our ongoing commitment to lowering deaths and injuries upon our streets and highways .
This checkpoint was funded by a grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety, through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Report Drunk Drivers – Call 9-1-1 ! l-..