El Camino High School Coach Arrested, Allegation of Lewd Act with 15 yo Female

South San Fransisco, CA       September 24, 2014      Submitted by SSFUSD   SSFUSD logo

**UPDATE BELOW**7.16.2015

This morning, South San Francisco Unified School District was notified by the South San Francisco Police Department that they had arrested a member of the Campus Security staff and coach at El Camino High School during the investigation of an allegation of a lewd act with a fifteen year-old female. The alleged victim was identified as a student of South San Francisco Unified School District and disclosed the incident to school officials, who in turn contacted police.According to the South San Francisco Police Department, the alleged act they are investigating took place during the month of July during non-school hours and did not take place at any of our District’s campuses or District events.The District employee who was arrested, Mark Turner, has been employed for several years as a coach and, most recently, as a member of the Campus Security staff at El Camino High School as well. Regardless of the outcome of the South San Francisco Police Department’s investigation, Mr. Turner will not be returning as an employee of the District. Since this is a personnel matter, the District is precluded from releasing any further information about Mr. Turner or his employment with the District.The emotional and physical safety of our students is the highest priority of our Board of Trustees and administration. The District is fully cooperating with the South San Francisco Police Department’s continuing investigation into this matter. The District will make every possible effort to cooperate with and ensure the integrity of the Police Department’s investigation.

In addition, we have notified our parents at El Camino High School of the South San Francisco Police Department’s investigation and arrest, and made counselors available to El Camino High School students and have encouraged those students who would like to discuss the emotional impact the incident has had to take advantage of these services.

We also want to encourage all our parents and students who have any concerns or information regarding this case or any related suspicious activity to please contact the Criminal Investigations Bureau of the South San Francisco Police Department at 650-877-8910.

In the meantime, we will continue to work with parents, stakeholders and the South San Francisco Police Department to ensure that our students’ emotional and physical safety is maintained at all of our District’s campuses.

###

For the South San Francisco Police Report CLICK HERE

UPDATE:

Mark Turner has been sentenced to 60 days in jail, 3 years of probation and will need to register as a sex offender for the rest of his life as a result of the ‘felony lewd act on a 15-year-old child by a person more than 10 years older’ charges filed against him to which he pleaded no contest. He will need to surrender himself to jail this September.

Prosecutors charge Turner had rubbed a 15 year old female student athlete’s  thigh several times, kissing her on the check and asked if she thought of him as more than a coach after he drove her home from a basketball practice July 1, 2014. He reportedly told her not to tell anyone yet after she told friends it was reported to her parents who then called police.

61 comments for “El Camino High School Coach Arrested, Allegation of Lewd Act with 15 yo Female

1. Dolores Reinke
    September 24, 2014 at 5:23 pm

I hope this is not true. Mark Turner is a great coach and a great guy.

• Juana Polonski
      September 26, 2014 at 10:04 pm

I know the guy, he is an honest and respectful person. I never see him watching females with lascivious eyes! I hope that this is not truth and justice come for him and for the girl.

2. Jennifer Tillery
    September 24, 2014 at 5:51 pm

There’s no way this is true. I worked with Mark Turner for several years and this is just not him.

3. angela Silva
    September 24, 2014 at 6:02 pm

I went to high school with Mark and we were good friends. I hope these allegations are not true. He has always been a great person, even when I run into him these days. Hoping the truth, whatever it may be, comes out and everyone is ok. It’s a horrible situation.

4. Amber Hunt
    September 24, 2014 at 6:25 pm

I’ve been friends with Mark since we were Freshman at El Camino. He’s a great guy. He doesn’t drink, smoke or do drugs. He’s always positive. He’s a great role model for these kids. He’s given his heart and soul to El Camino. This is completely out of character and there definitely has to be more to the story. Mark would not knowingly engage with a minor. I think it’s wrong on the part of the district dismiss his job completely, a leave of absence is called for, but to be treated as a criminal and lose his job completely before all the facts have gathered is wrong on the district.

• Pam
      September 24, 2014 at 10:50 pm

I totally agree. I want to hear his side

• Michelle Mandujano
      September 25, 2014 at 3:52 pm

Agreed!

• August 3, 2015 at 9:14 pm

i ve known marc since 5th grade he s a great person he would never harm anyone

• Anonymous
      September 25, 2014 at 8:30 pm

…Dismiss him from his job before the actual investigation ensues, produces undeniable/verifiable facts, plaster his face all over the intranet and further sully an already terrible occurrence (hope none of this is true and if it is, just like anyone else, he should be held responsible). Sure enough, as with most accusations of misconduct, the color of your skin and size of your wallet will determine how matters move forward/ how you’re dealt with police, courts and the media.

5. Michele Tanico
    September 24, 2014 at 6:50 pm

I new Mark in high school too and could not imagine him doing such a thing! He is a great coach and friend to so many. I hope that both parties are investigated fully in a fair manner.

6. Matt A
    September 24, 2014 at 7:07 pm

Mark is a good dude. He was my coach back in 03. These h o es be lying man. Mark has worked with kids for a long time. And worked very hard to be where he is today. People make stuff up to get out of trouble in high school. I hope the truth comes out. if the allegations against him are true that’s a bad look bruh!

• Angela
      September 24, 2014 at 8:15 pm

Are you calling teenaged girls “hoes”? Seriously? MT admitted to it.

• A student
        September 24, 2014 at 8:33 pm

Whoa Miss, are you sure he did it, can’t say that I knew him on a personal note, but still, I could have sworn he was a legit Coach, man I gotta warn my female friends to stay away from crazy bastards like these.

• Where
        September 26, 2014 at 2:44 pm

Angela,
        where did you read, “he admitted to it”?

7. Angela
    September 24, 2014 at 8:14 pm

I’m gonna go withhold judgment but it’s been brought to light that he admitted to some wrongdoing with a 15 year old.

Important to note that MT also coached a girls’ AAU Basketball team that was comprised mainly of students from SSF which my daughter was a part of.

According to my daughter, some of his former students are on Twitter trying to figure out who “snitched” so they can harass her which we all know could lead to potential disaster.

Our school has dealt with this before. Who remembers Leonardos from ALMS?

• VP
      September 24, 2014 at 9:03 pm

El Camino who remembers Dale Davis? I do he was messing with one of the cheerleaders. He was a J.V coach.

• Lz
        September 26, 2014 at 9:49 pm

No way. When was this?

8. Jen
    September 24, 2014 at 8:26 pm

Ummm…what about the alleged victim? For the sake of the 15 year old girl, I hope this isn’t true. While I don’t believe in condemning the guy before an investigation is conducted, I’m hearing a lot of assumptions made about his innocence and someone in the comment thread referred to the alleged victim as a ho (and it’s ho, not hoe). Even if he is found to be innocent, it does not excuse the assumptions being made about this young woman. This happens all too frequently when women report sexual assault, which is why acquaintance rape (the most common type of rape) goes largely unreported in this country. Oh, and if the dude just so happens to be guilty, please remember that most pedophiles are thought to be “nice guys” by their friends, family and peers. I’m sure most folks thought Jerry Sandusky was a swell guy too.

• Kelley
      September 24, 2014 at 10:08 pm

YES Jen. Thank you for mentioning that! Everyone please stop with the victim-blaming.

• Jay
      March 13, 2015 at 12:39 am

… hmmm. very interesting insight Jen. Jay.

9. James brown
    September 24, 2014 at 9:15 pm

Let’s not forget. july and off campus, non school related. The Girl involved clearly had to have been in contact with him to see him during the summer. Though clearly not right if he did something, if the girl provoked him, that’s not to be overlooked either. 15 year old girls don’t look like the ones I grew up with now-a-days #justSayin

10. Me
    September 24, 2014 at 9:18 pm

I remember a similar situation like this 10yrs ago when I was in high school. A girl accused a respectable coach that he had touched her in an inappropriate way. Well the coach lost his teaching license and went under investigation for the next few years, was labeled a sex offender, and was not allowed to be near students at all. It was later discovered that she made the whole thing up and was upset because he was failing her.
    Just goes to show you how some people do so much to get some kind of attention. I may have never gone to school at El Camino but. I hope this is just some snotty teenager wanting attention ya know.. BUT if it’s true it’s very disappointing…

11. Doug
    September 24, 2014 at 9:40 pm

Sometimes people put on a front, sometimes they don’t, and sometimes you just don’t know what you don’t know, you know? Before we rush to judgment, let’s ask the larger questions. How did Obama let this happen?

12. Steve
    September 24, 2014 at 10:59 pm

I knew Mark in high school. He was an amazingly kind, smart, talented, humorous, and spirited individual. If he’s found guilty, I hope that he, as well as his victim, will seek therapy. We sang in a barbershop quartet together, and he was an inspiration to me. That being said, if he’s found innocent, it sucks that his reputation and career have been compromised.

13. SOPHOMORE
    September 24, 2014 at 11:17 pm

Well whatever his past, this is just plain wrong & though he seemed like a nice guy on campus, he couldn’t be trusted.

14. A Concerned Neighbor
    September 25, 2014 at 6:56 am

I hate to bust your bubbles but MT admitted to it. How do I know? I have inside information and know certain people who work in the RWC JAIL where he was brought into. He admitted to the “lewd acts” with the minor girl. He’s no angel

15. Sean
    September 25, 2014 at 9:26 am

Then again it is always the person you would least expect.

16. JayMoe
    September 25, 2014 at 9:42 am

He’s a great guy until that’s your 15 year old daughter SMH! He’s a grown man and should know better!

17. V
    September 25, 2014 at 10:19 am

I graduated from EC in 06 and played football for MT every year. It’s hard to imagine him doing something like this. He is a solid mentor, and a stand up guy that still keeps in touch with me to see how my family is doing after all these years. I can’t help but not believe these allegations and I hope he gets a fair investigation.

• chipper
      September 25, 2014 at 12:47 pm

Remember Nick Leanardos never underestimate these sickos

18. female student
    September 25, 2014 at 12:12 pm

MT is a great man a great coach he would never do anything to harm others. He is like a second father to me. I love MT and I hope the other girl is alright

• chipper
      September 25, 2014 at 1:00 pm

Remember Nick Leanardos…found guilty! Cant trust these Pervs

19. Robert Olds
    September 25, 2014 at 3:02 pm

As a former EC Athlete (lettered in three sports) we valued our athletes by honoring them a spot on the EC Blanket…we called it the Blanket Award. We need to take his name down, unfair to the other athletes of that year who deserved it over Mark.

• Former Employee
      September 27, 2014 at 9:37 pm

What do the other athletes that “deserved it over Mark” have anything to do with it? If you want to take his name down because he is found to be guilty, then fine. But that’s just a stupid remark.

• Amber Hunt
      October 15, 2014 at 7:27 pm

Whatever he may have done now has nothing to do with his athletic skills in 1994 and he deserved that Blanket Award.

• Ramie Levene
      October 21, 2014 at 7:49 pm

And someone is using Robert Old’s name to post idiotic remarks.

20. chipper
    September 25, 2014 at 3:51 pm

Hi, Mr. Olds…Agree

21. chipper
    September 25, 2014 at 3:53 pm

Remember Nick Leanardos. Never underestimate anyone. Jury convicted him

22. chipper
    September 25, 2014 at 4:09 pm

Jun 29, 2005 – NICHOLAS LEONARDOS,. Defendant

23. Anonymous
    September 25, 2014 at 10:41 pm

Yes I remember Leonardo’s do not remember the district firing him right away like that! I also remember big problems with Grialou after years of doing wrong to children he finally got caught by the police! Grialou did not get fired either only transferred to another school oh yeah then to another school then yet another school. After not being able to make it they transferred him to the district office so they could babysit him. Wood chips oh yeah I remember him and the secretary!!!

24. that girl
    September 26, 2014 at 9:15 am

these hos ain’t loyal…but really why’d this girl wait 3 months to finally come out with this accusation. if something really was going on why wouldn’t the accusation have happened then and there.

25. shunieboo
    September 26, 2014 at 8:46 pm

This is some bull shit and you know it.Not true at all, Great Coach and Mentor so Fuck off and shame on the Tramp that started it All.

26. anonymous anonymous
    September 27, 2014 at 2:56 pm

That’s what they do best..befriend to earn trust..and the victim is revictimized. They hide where there is access. I know an uncle who molested his neice over long period of time. What does family of perpetraitor do ..make victim and family outcast. Bullying and moleststion is everywhere.

27. CHUCK
    September 27, 2014 at 6:05 pm

Yes it runs rampant.No one is exempt. They are very crafty.(EVIL)

28. Simon
    September 29, 2014 at 10:01 am

Wow. So in news, he’s been arrested with evidence and yet the majority of you are still saying “no, no it’s not true” and “he’s such a great guy,” shame on you, defending the pervert. Stop claiming that because of course he was nice on the job, with a fellow friend he played with, and a co-worker. You claim to know everybody in depth that you work with on the surface, does everybody know you in depth who thinks you’re nice? Yes I’m a former El Camino student and most of my friends were/are in sports. Look up the rest of the information and updates on these “allegations” before being ignorant and victim-blame. Oh you were friends with him 20 years ago, that’s SO relevant, he mustn’t have changed at all.

Also, don’t EVER say the girl was asking for it. Because he gave her a ride for the SAFETY of her home. And look at that guy, he’s huge. She probably thought he was going to hurt her if she didn’t try to find a way out nicely. This girl trusted him and he took advantage of that.

• CHUCK
      September 29, 2014 at 1:36 pm

29. 5 is 5
    September 29, 2014 at 11:46 am

* Mark Turner- CSM alumnae Football and El Camino coach, that we know.

* Two sides to every story…I don’t believe that Mark had his BA, I do know that the SSF cop that arrested him was undereducated….Mark was arrested by a cop with no college degree and graduated from a continuation HS, this is the source that cop.

* If Mark is guilty of this or hard thoughts of this, he should not have been coaching, a 38 year old going after a 15 year old, well Mark will be someone’s girl in prison….IF THIS IS ALL TRUE….WE ARE ASsuming…the media hold the gossip…………..

30. CHUCK
    September 29, 2014 at 1:37 pm

5 Is 5 us an ASS

• Editor
      September 29, 2014 at 2:28 pm

Chuck-
      Everything South City is a neighborhood friendly news source and we ask all those who use our website to refrain from name calling.
      Thank you.
      -Ed

31. CHUCK
    September 29, 2014 at 1:38 pm

IS AN ASS……

32. CHUCK
    September 29, 2014 at 2:30 pm

Will do Ed

• Editor
      September 29, 2014 at 3:35 pm

Thank you!
      -Ed

33. JoJo W
    September 29, 2014 at 8:48 pm

MT was the AAU basketball coach for the victim. That is why this happened off campus in July after a practice.

My employment law experience tells me that if this was just an accusation that MT denied, the district would only have put him on leave pending the outcome. The fact that they terminated him means that the “corroborative evidence” spoken of almost surely means he made some type of admission to investigators. The only other likely “corroborative evidence” would be if the girl saved text messages in which MT admitted to something.

34. 5 is 5
    September 29, 2014 at 9:53 pm

chuckie, How about you stop snatching chains and looking at under aged girls, I think Chuck that you agree or think that adults can lokk at children, regardless of Mark Turner situatuion. Chuck, I hope all is well at the playground……………

35. CHUCK
    September 30, 2014 at 2:47 pm

No if and or buts about it. Molestation!!!

36. andrew
    October 1, 2014 at 4:04 pm

They would not arrest him if they did not have all the evidence.
    case closed.

• board cop
      October 2, 2014 at 10:47 pm

andrew, I agree that some cops have zero education and cops are at times not the best source.

37. board cop
    October 2, 2014 at 10:45 pm

OK, A GREAT GUY….what makes him a great guy? bottom line…….If Mr.Turner is guilty of this only he knows as well as victim…..Mr.Turner has some choices, cop a plea if guilty he will not do jail time but, will be a sex offender for life, fight if not guilty and go down fighting for your life…..my opinion, I think Mr.Turner has had thoughts of this and lewd acts is not sex but, if all alone and no one would tell, I wonder….

38. cristina santo fomingo
    October 5, 2014 at 5:44 pm

Kindly please investigate further
    that allegations might be a provoking incident
    and no malicious intention from the coach
    most student I observed are going beyond da