South San Francisco, CA January 19, 2017
In response to recent residential burglaries and in keeping with the Department’s mission to protect and serve, the South San Francisco Police Department is now offering residents a free home security assessment. An Officer will come to your residence and provide useful suggestions to help you protect yourself, and your home.
To schedule an appointment please contact the Department at 650/877.8900
Below are some safety tips to share with your family, friends and neighbors. And remember to ALWAYS call 911 in real time when you have a safety concern!
• Suspects generally choose unoccupied homes to burglarize. If someone you don’t know knocks on your door, answer through the door without opening it. Let the person know you are at home and ask what they want. Report any suspicious activity to the police via 9-1-1.
• Lock all of your doors and windows when you leave your residence, even if you are gone for a short time.
• All types of security measures help. A dog, alarm systems, surveillance cameras, and lighting add one more layer of security to deter burglars.
• Engrave an identifying mark on valuable items that do not have a serial number to identify at a later date.
• Take close-up photographs of jewelry and other valuable items.
• Prepare a personal property inventory of valuable items, including serial numbers.
• Alert neighbors are essential to assisting the police with the apprehension of these criminals. Alert neighbors are responsible for the majority of arrests made in these types of incidents.
• If you see suspicious persons, crimes in progress, or anything that appears to be out of the norm for your neighborhood, contact your police department via 9-1-1.
• Attempt to gain a description of the person(s) and vehicle involved, including the color, year, make, model, and license plate number.