South San Francisco, CA May 18, 2017 Press Release City of South San Francisco
It’s National Emergency Medical Services Week and There’s Something We Want to Ask of You…
National Emergency Medical Services Week brings together local communities and medical personnel to publicize safety and honor the dedication of those who provide the day-to-day lifesaving services of medicine’s “front line.”
An important reminder from the City of South San Francisco Fire and Police Departments
The South San Francisco Fire and Police Departments take pride in our ability to quickly respond to emergencies. From the time a call for service is made until the time we are at your location. We strive to safely and effectively respond to your needs. To help us find your homes when someone is in need of our assistance, the California Building Standards Commission established requirements for all new and existing buildings in the 2016 California Fire Code.
Here are some key tips in the code to make sure we can easily identify your home when our assistance is needed:
- The address identification shall be legible and placed in a position that is visible from the street or road fronting the property.
- Make sure your address identification characters contrast with their background.
- Address shall be Arabic numbers and shall not be spelled out.
- Each character shall be not less than 4 inches high with a minimum stroke width of ½ inch.
- Place the address on a location of the property where the address is visible to see from both directions of the street.
- Avoid placing the address identification near growing trees or bushes which may cover the address over time.
- Weathering will fade the address over time. Repaint the address as needed.
Please consider a city wide program for large house numbers (6″+) and LED front porch lights.I bought three 6″ high numbers. However, they look awful. I may install anyway.These numbers are slanted.Large house numbers on the web could cost $15 each.Sean Curmi first brought this up at a CPTF meeting, before he was promoted.SSF could also number the city owned street light poles where the numbers could be seen from both directions.These numbers could be 8 – 12 inches high.I replaced the LED front porch light that became intermittent.The motion sensor plastic cover broke as we removed it.Current $30 Costco light is awful. It is two round spots.I must find something better at HD or web.Mike