Plymire-Schwarz House and Boutique Open Wednesdays and Saturdays 1-4pm through December 20th

South San Francisco, CA    November 29, 2017 Submitted by Historical Society of South San Francisco

 

The Historical Society of South San Francisco will be hosting their annual Holiday Boutique at the Plymire Schwarz House, located at 541 Grand Avenue on Wednesdays and Saturdays in December from 1-4pm through December 20th. This historic home and museum  is decked out for the holidays and offering free tours and the boutique is brimming with one-of-kind gifts!

Take this opportunity to enjoy more South San Francisco history and get a jump on your holiday shopping! Bring a friend and start a holiday tradition that includes a visit to the Plymire-Schwarz House and a stop at one of our great downtown eateries. The festive decorations in the area will definitely keep your spirits high! Parking available on the street or the Miller Avenue Structure.

CLICK HERE to view the video created by the South San Francisco Library highlighting the Plymire-Schwarz Museum.

###

About the Historical Society of South San Francisco

The South San Francisco Historical Society has two facilities in SSF featuring historical information.  The Historical Society Museum, at 80 Chestnut Avenue houses a collection which includes vintage clothing, photos and artifacts, oral history tapes, historic school yearbooks, newspapers and maps, special exhibits, and a database for researching historical photographs.  The Plymire-Schwarz Center is a restored 1905 colonial revival style house located at 519 Grand Avenue.  This historic home was donated to the Historical Society who worked diligently to restore the furnishings with period-appropriate antiques.

Document 1Plymire Schwarz Museum

519 Grand Avenue
South San Francisco, CA 94080
(650)879-6988
Facebook

Hours: Wed 2:00 – 4:00 p.m. 

Membership

Membership is open to all who are interested. Membership meetings are held on the 3rd Monday of March, June, September and December at Magnolia Senior Center, 601 Grand Avenue. Board meetings are held on the 3rd Monday of the other eight months and are open meetings which any member is welcome to attend (dates in January and February may change due to holiday schedule). Membership is $15 for individuals and $20 for families.

Document 2Historical Society Museum

80 Chestnut Avenue
South San Francisco, CA 94080
(650) 829-3825
email: ssfhistorical@gmail.com

Hours:
Tues & Thurs 2:00 – 4:00 p.m.
Saturday (2nd & 4th) 1:00 – 3:00 p.m.

 

Other Historical Organizations and Information Sources

###

About the Plymire-Schwarz Museum

519 Grand Avenue • South San Francisco, CA 94080 • (650) 875-6988 • Admission is Free •
Open Wednesdays 2-4 pm or by appointment

 Overview

This 1905 colonial revival style house at 519 Grand Avenue was originally at the northwest corner of Grand and Spruce Avenues. The house was built by Dr. Harry (aka Henry) Garriston Plymire, one of the City’s first physicians as well as the area’s coroner. Dr. Plymire and his brother, Dr. Brandley Plymire, opened a medical practice on the first floor while Dr. Harry and his family occupied the second floor as their residence. After several years it was converted to “The Plymire Hospital.” Being the only hospital between San Francisco and San Mateo they boasted: “sparing residents of San Bruno, Daly City and Colma the cost and inconvenience of having to go to San Francisco or San Mateo for treatment.” The practice lasted until 1915 when Dr. Harry succumbed to pneumonia at the young age of 38. His practice and house were sold to Dr. Frank Dolley who had the house moved to its current location so the new “South San Francisco General Hospital” could be built in its place. This hospital was completed in 1918 and the home at 519 Grand Avenue eventually became The Industrial Club for Businesses and Professional Men. After that it was owned for a time by Savino and Gertrude Gianella and operated as a boarding house through the 1930’s. It became a private residence when it was purchased by Nathan and Jessie Adler in the late 1930’s.

Ernst Schwarz bought the house in 1958 and he wed Margarete Scholz in 1960. They built a life together in the historic home at 519 Grand Avenue. Ernst was a prolific amateur painter and the house was filled with his artwork. After his death in 1984, Margarete’s desire was to preserve the house as well as Ernst’s paintings. When Margarete died in 1994 she bequeathed the property to the Historical Society of South San Francisco. The house was designated a historical home and transformed into a museum.

Throughout the years, The Plymire-Schwarz House steering committee and volunteers have worked diligently restoring and furnishing the home with period-appropriate antiques. One item of particular pride is an authentic, fully restored 1910 Cribben-Sexton Company stove in the kitchen. Showcased in the dining room is a 1911 Victrola. A complete collection of the South San Francisco local newspaper “The Enterprise Journal” is housed in the upstairs library. There is a rotating exhibit of Ernst’s art in an upstairs gallery as well as displayed throughout the home.

A lovely, sheltered garden is maintained by volunteers and featured along its pathways are memorial stepping stones, which were sponsored by Historical Society members and Plymire-Schwarz House supporters.

A traditional Victorian Tea, hosted by volunteers, is held annually. This popular event has become the major fundraiser for the home and is always booked to capacity.

Docents are available for tours Wednesdays 2-4 pm or by appointment.
• Admission is Free •

categories

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.