South San Francisco, CA January 25, 2018 Press Release
South San Francisco’s Community Survey Shows 84 Percent of Residents are Satisfied With the Quality of Life in South San Francisco
Survey collected via telephone calls and an online questionnaire
Quality of life and resident satisfaction are the top priorities of city government in South San Francisco. To ensure city operations and strategic direction are in line with resident expectations and desires, the City of South San Francisco recently commissioned Godbe Research to conduct a telephone and online survey of South San Francisco residents. The survey’s primary objectives were to measure the satisfaction with quality of life, residents’ opinions on the future direction of South San Francisco, and what residents are most concerned about.
- 54.9 percent of residents think that things are going in the right direction, while only 21.8 percent say things are going in the wrong direction – a 2.5 to 1 positive to negative ratio.
- The most important top of mind issues are:
- Affordable housing (25.7 percent)
- Traffic congestion (19.8 percent)
- Nearly 70 percent of residents agreed there is a housing crisis on the Peninsula.
- 42 percent of residents believe that the number of new residential units being built is about right or not enough, while 40.7 percent believe too much housing is being built.
- 53.2 percent of residents believe the City should encourage the construction of more affordable housing.
- 61.7 percent or residents believe the City should encourage housing construction near where people work.
- An overwhelming majority of residents are satisfied with the job the City is doing to provide municipal services, with 84 percent indicating they were satisfied with the courtesy, customer service, and the results from City staff.
- Among the 26 percent of the respondents that have contacted the City within the last 12 months, they indicated very high levels of satisfaction with the contact.
- 85.9 percent were satisfied with the “courtesy of City staff.”
- 84.2 percent were satisfied with the “customer service you received.”