South San Francisco, CA April 11, 2018 SSF Press Release
The City of South San Francisco is now accepting applications for those interested in serving on the City’s Design Review Board (DRB) advisory committee. Following the approval of the City’s Downtown Station Area Specific Plan (DSASP) in 2015, the City has experienced a substantial increase in development interest and applications citywide. To learn more about the exciting developments taking shape in South San Francisco, please view the City’s Development and Construction Map.
About the Board
The Design Review Board consists of design professionals who provide advice and design expertise on new development projects and façade improvements to existing buildings. The goal of the Design Review Board is to encourage optimal design and efficient site planning that enhances community character and ensures new development fits sensitively and cohesively into infill sites and surrounding neighborhoods.
The Design Review Board is an advisory committee, with final decisions made by the Planning Manager, Planning Commission or City Council, depending on the complexity of the project.
The Design Review Board meets on the 3rd Tuesday of every month at 4:00 p.m. in the City Hall Annex Conference Room located at 315 Maple Avenue. It is comprised of five members, each appointed to a 4-year term or until the appointment of a qualified successor. There are no term limits for the Design Review Board and members receive a $50.00 stipend per attended meeting and participate in the Public Agency Retirement System (PARS). The Board is staffed and assisted by the Planning Division, which is part of the broader Economic and Community Development (ECD) Department.
- An eye for architectural design and site planning (both innovative and traditional)
- Personal or professional experience in architecture, landscape design, and/ or construction
- Interest and motivation to serve the public community
- Sufficient time available to devote to evening or day meetings
- Two members shall be architects licensed by the state
- Two members shall be either of the following: landscape architect, designer, contractor, horticulturist, or person
with equivalent landscaping expertise or background
- One member shall be any of the above professions or a building or engineering contractor
- At least one of the members shall also be a resident and elector of the City of South San Francisco
Application & Next Steps
Please CLICK HERE to download the DRB Application, or pick up a physical copy at the following city locations:
Planning Division 315 Maple Avenue (650) 877-8535
City Clerk’s Office 400 Grand Avenue 650-877-8518
Applicants will be required to appear before the Planning Commission for a public interview at a Special meeting tentatively scheduled for June 21, 2018. Applications must be received by the Planning Division no later than 5:00 P.M, June 1, 2018. Please email the application to firstname.lastname@example.org or drop off at the Planning Division located at 315 Maple Avenue. For any questions regarding the Design Review Board or the application itself, please call 650-877-8535. We look forward to reviewing your application.