South San Francisco, CA August 7, 2018 by Leslie Arroyo, SSF Communications Director
Dear Community Members,
First and foremost, we thank you. All of you have engaged in the development of our Community Civic Campus project, providing critical input necessary to get this project built. Many of you participated in our recent outreach efforts informing us about your preferences and desires, either through individual input or participation in one or more of the following outreach events held by the City:
- Parks & Recreation Commission Public Meeting – March 20, 2018
- Library Board of Trustees Public Meeting – March 27, 2018
- Seniors Focus Group – April 3, 2018
- Literacy Focus Group – April 3, 2018
- Fitness Enthusiasts Focus Group – April 4, 2018
- Asian Focus Group – April 4, 2018
- Special Needs Focus Group – April 4, 2018
- Measure W Citizens’ Oversight Committee Public Meeting – April 4, 2018
- Bicycle and Pedestrian Committee Public Meeting – April 4, 2018
- Historical Society Focus Group – April 4, 2018
- Hispanic Focus Group – April 6, 2018
- Friends of the Library – April 10, 2018
- Youth Focus Group – April 18, 2018
- Planning Commission Public Meeting – April 19, 2018
- Cultural Arts Commission Public Meeting – April 19, 2018
- Neighborhood Community Meeting – April 23, 2018
- City Council Study Session Public Meeting – April 25, 2018
- Streets Alive/Parks Alive Popup Event – May 5, 2018
- Community Workshop – May 22, 2018
- City Council Study Session Public Meeting – June 27, 2018
- City Council Study Session Public Meeting – July 13, 2018
- City Council Study Session Public Meeting – July 25, 2018
Your comments are understood and have been informing our creative thought process.
We wanted to reach out to you at this time to update you on the Community Civic Campus project as we have hit a key milestone. On July 25, 2018, City Council selected the preferred Master Plan option that will serve as the basis for schematic design, our next phase of the project. Schematic design is essentially the start of design. The complete design process, resulting in 100% construction drawings, will be completed by the summer/fall of 2019. Construction period of the project is estimated to be 2020 to 2022. Selection of the preferred Master Plan came after a robust public debate, and consensus on a $210 million construction plan.
The campus, located at the northeast corner of El Camino Real and Chestnut, will include a state-of-the-art Police Station; and modern buildings for the Library and its programs; a Discovery Center; Parks and Recreation and its programs; a Community Theatre, which will function as the City Council Chamber; surface parking for 220 vehicles; and open space/plazas for outdoor activity, where feasible. The design team, following the preferred plan, will focus on creating an iconic campus design for the residents of the City of South San Francisco that will have a lasting impression and use for our current residents and future generations.
Through the remaining design process, the City and its project partners will continue to engage the community in a comprehensive outreach program. We encourage you to get involved, get your neighbors involved, and be a part of the conversation!
- Next week, we will start a quarterly project newsletter. You will receive these newsletters, which will keep you updated with project progress.
- The project website (www.communityciviccampus.net) will have up-to-date information about future meetings.
- There will be project information displayed at the Municipal Services Building and Library.
- Lastly, we will continue to provide City Council quarterly updates, as well as conduct supplemental meetings with our Commissions/Committees.
Thank you again for working with us. This milestone is significant and we are excited to be moving this project forward. Your continued input is important to the success of this community project. Feel free to contact us any time at email@example.com or (650) 829-6603.
To receive dedicated alerts about this project, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the mailing list.
Your Community Civic Campus Project Team