South San Francisco, CA September 23, 2018
South San Francisco Historical Society Museum – 80 Chestnut Avenue, SSF
New Exhibit – Opening September 4, 2018 – Sponsored by SSF Dept. of Parks & Recreation and Mr. Karl Rolih
People have used land and water to travel this region for thousands of years. When indigenous communities first settled here, they followed and creat ed footpaths enabling them to harvest food, hunt local game, trade, and even marry neighboring villagers. During the Spanish period, colonizers created pathways to connect their missions, pueblos, and presidios. They used the trails created by Portola and Anza to form El Camino Real, or the “King’s Highway,” linking Alta California’s 21 missions. Mission Road served as the main entry point for travelers and farmers in San Mateo County for much of the 19th century. In 1857, the county issued its first building permit to the Twelve Mile House-an establishment that served stagecoach travelers journeying be tween San Francisco and San Jose. All of these footpaths, waterways, and roads eventually became the blueprints for South San Francisco’s streets and highways.