South San Francisco, CA November 1, 2018 Press Release
Several City activities are occurring throughout November to
honor our Veterans
As Veterans Day approaches, South San Francisco thanks all veterans for their service and sacrifice in defense of our Country.
“Veterans Day provides an opportunity to celebrate the commitment and sacrifice of our local, state and national military heroes,” says South San Francisco Mayor Liza Normandy. “It is a day commemorating and honoring generations of past and present military service members and their families.”
To commemorate our Veterans, the City has the following events planned:
- The City of South San Francisco and local businesses are honoring its Veterans with A Salute to Our Veterans by displaying American flags along Grand Avenue while local businesses are offering special discounts and/or services to Veterans who show their Military/Veteran ID card or a Veteran memento for verification. For a list of participating businesses, please call (650) 829-6680.
- In addition, Veterans who visit the City Manager at City Hall, 400 Grand Avenue, will receive a free “key to the City” pin and mug.
- Academic and Career Coaching with VetNow: Main library (840 W. Orange Ave), November 3 and November 17; 10:15 a.m. – 11:15 a.m.
- Stop by the main library to learn about VetNow, a new service for Veterans and their families that provides a live benefits navigator, online career assistance, and academic skills building. To access VetNow, visit our website.
- What is a Cal Vet Home Loan? Main library (840 W. Orange Ave.), November 6; 5:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.
- Are you a Veteran looking for information about your Home Loan Benefit? Cal Vet is here to educate you about your options for a Cal Vet Home Loan and possible VA guarantee. Veterans can save money and get a streamlined process along with a lower interest rate. There are numerous advantages to using your Veteran benefit to buy a home! Cal Vet Home Loans is part of the California Department of Veterans Affairs dedicated to providing low-cost home loans to Veterans purchasing homes in California.
- Veterans can also swim free Friday, November 9 through Sunday, November 11 at the Orange Memorial Park Swimming Pool, located at 1 West Orange Avenue, South San Francisco, California.
For questions on Veterans Day activities, please either call the Main Library at (650) 829-3860 or Parks & Recreation at (650) 829-3800.
“To all Veterans, you have made not only South San Francisco and California proud, but the whole of our great nation,” adds South San Francisco City Manager Mike Futrell. “We thank you for serving with valor and without hesitation to preserve our freedoms.”
In the United States, an official wreath-laying ceremony is held each Veterans Day (Monday, November 12) at the Tomb of the Unknowns in Arlington National Cemetery, while parades and other celebrations are held in states around the country. Veterans Day pays tribute to all American veterans – living or dead – but especially gives thanks to living veterans who served their country honorably during war or peacetime.