South San Francisco, CA   March 15, 2019

Another local iconic business favorite appears to be the latest victim to the building explosion as Gotelli Speed Shop announced today they would be closing their doors because they lost their lease. In the recent past we have lost long time favorite businesses including South City Car Wash, Galli’s Bakery, BACA’s Machine Shop, Clearlight Trophies, Oyster Point Marina, etc, and today’s news brings about another sense of disquiet to long time residents. It feels as though our past is being erased one business at a time, and replaced with ever taller buildings as high density makes it’s mark through out what was once a small town.

Gotelli’s opened their shop on May 1, 1962 and has been the go to place for decades with continued satisfaction and repeat loyal customers who are now left wondering what will happen next. They have not yet secured another facility and have said they will update this information on their Facebook page when they know.

Ted posed for this Christmas photo last year on their Facebook page, wishing everyone a Merry Christmas. Over 450 loyal fans returned the sentiment to Ted and the Gotelli family

Their 50th Anniversary was a milestone and celebrated accordingly.

The memories Ted and his family have created in the lives of so many will continue, and everyone is invited to their last day, March 30th, as they say they will have something special planned between 10am – 2pm.

The property at 321 El Camino Real (PN013145150) does not have any current plans for redevelopment per the City’s construction website link and no permits appear to have been filed either. We will continue to monitor both Gotelli’s next step, and what will be replacing this historic and much loved shop.

Share your memories and photos with us either in comment or email to News@EverythingSouthCity.com

Andy Saunders, one of Gotelli’s best customers, shared this photo on the Gotelli’s FB pg

Stu Harmon snapped this photo of Ted during the Holidays last year.

Great memories – from Gotelli’s FB pg.

UPDATE: Thanks to John K for sharing this link (Hot Rod) with more photos and stories about the Gotelli family and Speed Shop.

22 comments for “After 57 Years on El Camino Real SSF Gotelli Speed Shop Closes March 30th Having Lost Their Lease

1. PHILIP YELDA
    March 16, 2019 at 5:55 am

GOD BLESS

2. Joe Rodrigues
    March 16, 2019 at 2:42 pm

This quality shops reputation will always be in my heart and others who shopped here with confidence and getting the best service from teddy and his staff , since the early 70s.
    Really was amazing how they assisted me in the high perf.modifications to my 1969 RT Charger , from the ignition to the exhaust systems..Best of luck to the Gotelli family and staff..

3. Ale
    March 16, 2019 at 3:48 pm

My uncle Jim sent me this link yesterday and I almost cried… This is such bullshit! Gotelli Speed Shop should be considered a LANDMARK. I thought Gotelli owned the building and/or land? South San Francisco should be ashamed of themselves for letting this happen! I’m so frustrated right now with this type of shit going on…. I’m pissed at the city and a little pissed at Gotelli Speed Shop! People from all over the Bay Area would come to this place, I live in the Sunnyvale area and I would travel to the best speed shop! Just after I thought this week couldn’t get any weirder for me… Is there anything that we can do to keep this from happening?

4. Alex
    March 16, 2019 at 3:48 pm

5. Rodney Boltz
    March 16, 2019 at 7:10 pm

So sad, it’s been a fixture for as long as I can remember. Does Brizio Street rods have a place maybe for them on the side of one of their buildings. One stop shop does it all. Keep me posted. Although I had to move north I miss my home town.

• joe
      March 18, 2019 at 6:00 pm

remember when there was champion speed shop on old mission road , owned by the brizio family, and Gotelli speed shop on el camino owned by the Gotelli family

6. Nancy
    March 17, 2019 at 1:31 am

I’m so disappointed that the city of South San Francisco is losing another icon with the closure of Gotelli’s speed shop. What is going on in our city. No theaters,no pee wee golf no Gallis bakery. Nothing in this city for our kids! These tall buildings are ridiculous. How about the small business owners who is supporting them. City Concil really needs to wake up.

• Wood
      March 30, 2019 at 3:21 pm

Put veteran so city people in charge…instead of people from A different country all together

7. Ted Gotelli
    March 17, 2019 at 4:20 am

Thank you for this wonderful write up. We truly appreciate your kind words at this sad time.

Ted Gotelli

• B
      March 19, 2019 at 4:37 am

Ted – thanks for all of the years.
      If it’s any consolation; you’re the last man standing of a great tradition of bay area speed shops.
      A moment of silence for: Vic Hubbard, HPD, Goodies Speed Shop, and Gotelli’s. You were from a better time

• Pam Gradney
        March 31, 2019 at 1:12 am

Awww. Gonna miss your friendly smile and wealth of information. Good luck Ted and the crew.The Chevelle and Challenger wouldn’t have been what they became without you.❤Pam Gradney

• L.Douglas Thomsen
      March 30, 2019 at 9:01 am

Ted, this is Doug with the Blue 69 Vette!
      I cannot believe this is happening! I just heard about your losing your lease after all these years. I remember the first time I walked into your families Speed Shop! I had just enough money (I was 13 and it was 1962) to buy a decal of the Clay Smith Smokin Woodpecker. I’ve been coming to your shop ever since! Since I live in Mar in County now, it’s been tough to get down to So. City to see you guys. I’ll be there Saturday morning early! Your friend Doug Thomsen
      PS. I hope you find another building,and the landlord isn’t a greedy bastard! Lol!
      SEEYA!!

8. Marie.
    March 17, 2019 at 6:05 am

I have been coming here for over twenty years when in the Bay. Have seen the shop through a couple facelifts and Ted is my constant. I hope the shop lives on as it’s a part of Bay Area and Racing history. This breaks my heart.

• Biff O'Brien
      March 18, 2019 at 7:10 am

I’m sorry to see Gotelie’s closing. I used to go to Gotelie’s, or Champion Speed Shop, in the mid 60’s to the late 70’s, for my custom parts. Later years, it was for goodies for my Jeep, or to just look around at what was new.
      What’s called, “progress”, sometimes sucks !
      My best wishes to Ted and his crew and I hope that he will find something soon.

9. mark pettersen
    March 18, 2019 at 12:50 pm

known these guys for 40 years. Hope they find another location to carry on. Great people…………..lots of history!!!!! Be Bleessed! Mark Pettersen/Pettersen Motorsports

10. D.Bryan
    March 18, 2019 at 1:30 pm

Truly a shock ! Where will i go to find a smile welcoming me when i walk in,I hope you find a place in s.s.f.
    Is there anything that we can do to keep this from happening?

11. John L Sheldon 111
    March 20, 2019 at 1:01 pm

I remember you guys while I was at Moffett 65-67. Used to go to Fremont if not on duty. I like businesses that weather the storms and push foward. Like my family”s business. We have been in business since 1852. Really something to be proud of. This is a 4-story wooden building that was built in 1815. The same family has owned this. Wakefield, RI 02879.

12. Mike
    March 25, 2019 at 2:09 pm

Wow,sad news as a kid going to Ssf high school and loving hot rods and drooling at gotellis. Man I used to walk out with a smile. I think me and my buddy was buying stuff every other week there. MikrIt is a true icon. Going to as many local car meets I do know hot rods are still very much alive and so I hope you can find a new location and make it bigger and better and start a new icon.

13. Gp
    March 25, 2019 at 4:44 pm

Hey Ted this is a voice from the past I heard about your shop that’s sucks and I’m just being polite I do say though I have to thank you for some of the best memories laughs and hangovers thank you Old man gotelli that’ll never forget and I wanna thank you for sponsoring my car hope you find a new shop soon thanks again for the great memories

14. Danny Kenzy
    March 29, 2019 at 11:50 pm

Going to miss Gary Ryans burn out poster when you walk in ,

15. Mark
    March 30, 2019 at 5:02 pm

Ted going to miss rubbing the pups ear on the counter I’m sure your going to find another place and maybe even better fit for the business

God Bless Mark

16. Bailey Gee
    April 7, 2019 at 4:50 pm

Hey Ted, sorry to hear this. I was a regular from 1965 until the early 1980’s. Still come by occasionally just to see what is new. Sorry that you could not get the polo shirts in by the holidays. Hope you find a place to re-open the BEST speed shop in Northern California.