South San Francisco, CA August 31, 2020 h/t SSF Scavengers – Original Source Flows to Bay
Rain Barrels & Rebate Program
Rain barrels are a simple way to reduce the amount of pollution that enters our San Mateo County waterways, including our Bay and Ocean.
Learn about the benefits of owning a rain barrel and how to receive up to a $200 from the Countywide Rain Barrel Rebate Program and member agency.
Benefits Of Owning A Rain Barrel
Rain barrels benefit the environment, your plants, and your budget. Below are just some of the many benefits of owning a rain barrel. Are you already a rain barrel owner? Place yourself on our map!
- With the recent water crisis in California, rain barrels are one of the best ways to save money and water by cutting back potable water used for irrigation.
- Rain barrels protect local creeks, the San Francisco Bay, and the Ocean by reducing urban runoff that transports litter, motor oil, and other pollutants into storm drains. Read more below.
- Rain barrels can moderate flooding during the rainy winter season, decrease land erosion, and also reduce the amount of moisture that reaches your home’s foundation.
- San Mateo County has a rebate program that provides a rebate of up to $200 depending on your place of residence! Read the details below.
- Rain barrels collect rainwater, which is free of the additives (such as fluoride, salts, and inorganic ions) that tap water has for sanitation. Over time, these compounds accumulate in the soil and potential harm plant roots and microorganisms in the soil. Your plants and garden will thrive by being watered with rainwater.
Did you know that 1,000 square feet of roof surface can capture 625 gallons of water for every 1 inch of rainfall?
That’s over 11,000 gallons from each home per year!
How Rain Barrels Can Prevent Stormwater Pollution
With the majority of our cities and neighborhoods covered by impervious surfaces (such as pavement and buildings), the rain which once soaked into the ground now flows over these surfaces and into our local waterways. This rain water picks up pollutants (such as litter and pet waste) and toxics (such as pesticides and automotive fluids) and travels unfiltered into our creeks and streams, ultimately ending up in the San Francisco Bay or Pacific Ocean.
The good news is that we can all take simple actions that can go a long way to lessening the burden on our waterways. Beyond ensuring your cars aren’t leaking oil, picking up your pet’s waste, and using eco-friendly pesticides, you can also reduce the amount of water reaching your storm drains with a rain barrel.
About The Countywide Rain Barrel Rebate Program
Effective July 1, 2020 to June 30, 2021.
In partnership with Flows To Bay, Bay Area Water Supply Conservation Agency and participating member agencies are offering rebates of up to $200 per rain barrel for the purchase and installation of qualifying rain barrels depending on their size.
ALL RESIDENTS of San Mateo County are eligible to receive the following rebate amounts from Flows To Bay, the San Mateo Countywide Water Pollution Prevention Program:
|Rain Barrel Size||Rebate Amount*|
|50-99 gallon capacity||$50|
|100-199 gallon capacity||$100|
|200+ gallon capacity||$150|