South San Francisco, CA February 27, 2021 Submitted by Caltrans
Closure locations and times will be displayed on changeable message signs at least one week in advance.
Motorists will be directed to exit the freeway in advance of the closed freeway sections, and detour signs will be in place to clearly guide them through city streets until they get back on the freeway. Detour routes have been carefully selected with input from local jurisdictions to minimize impacts to nearby residents. See the detour maps below for the exact detour routes.
At no point will both the northbound and southbound directions of U.S. 101 be closed at the same time.
All construction activities are subject to change without notice
- Check out the Project’s video on the freeway closures and detour routes. Click here to watch!
- Access real-time traffic conditions on the Caltrans QuickMap: quickmap.dot.ca.gov
- Sign up for weekly updates by emailing with the subject line “weekly” to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Follow @CaltransD4 on Twitter for the most update to date information on full freeway closures and other construction activities planned each week.
101 Express Lanes FAQ (Feb 2021)
Project Design/General Questions
1. What is the San Mateo 101 Express Lanes Project?
2. How will express lanes help address congestion?
3. Why is the Project being built in San Mateo County?
4. How will the express lanes improve my commute on U.S. 101?
5. How will the Project benefit transit users?
6. Does this Project take away a lane on U.S. 101?
7. Will there be a shoulder to pull over on once the lanes are constructed?
8. Will the freeway require new signs and equipment for the express lanes?
9. Why not just build a carpool lane?
10. How will the express lanes in San Mateo County connect to the ones in Santa Clara County? Will I have to pay twice?
11. How is the Project funded?
12. Why doesn’t this Project extend all the way to the San Francisco County Line?
13. How long will it take to build?
14. What is happening during Phase One, in the Southern Section of the Project?
15. What is happening during Phase Two, in the Northern Section of the Project?
16. How will construction impact me?
17. How can I find out about construction activities that may affect traffic?
18. How will I know about project-related traffic on U.S. 101?
19. Where can I get more information about the San Mateo 101 Express Lanes Project?
20. How has the Shelter-in-Place order affected Project construction?
21. With traffic volumes so low during the Shelter-in-Place order, do we still need this Project?
22. Who owns this Project and is responsible for deciding operations policy?
23. Who will operate the express lanes?
24. Who is managing this Project?
25. Who decides how much the tolls will cost?
26. What happens to the tolls collected?
27. Are toll lanes fair for lower income drivers?
28. How do I pay for the express lane?
29. Who will be able to use the express lanes?
30. If I don’t want to pay a toll, what are my options travelling on U.S. 101?
31. How are toll prices determined in real time?
32. How are occupancy rules enforced in the express lanes?
33. How does FasTrak work with the express lanes?
34. What if there is an accident and the only open lane is the express lane?
35. Where can I find more information on how this project fits into the larger network of Bay Area Express Lanes?
36. What will the hours of operation for express lanes be?