South San Francisco, CA August 20, 2021 By Livable California
The Assembly Appropriations Committee today sent SB 9 to the Assembly floor for a vote in the coming days. A broad and growing movement is urging a NO vote on SB 9, which makes homeownership a competition sport for pension funds, rental giants and other deep pockets.
- Ex-Obama pollster David Binder says 71% of voters oppose SB 9 & 75% oppose SB 10.
- The L.A. City Council voted to oppose the bills, bringing a new powerhouse into the fray.
- Tenants’ rights leader Larry Gross of CES says the bills assure “increased developers’ profits … but do not provide for a single unit of affordable housing.”
- A. City Council President Nury Martinez says “Sacramento has lost its credibility in L.A. with land use.”
- A. Councilmember Paul Koretz says SB 9 and SB 10 are “cleverly marketed as helping build affordable housing. But they do the opposite.”
- Housing is a Human Right ads in the A. Times urge people to fight SB 9 and SB 10.
What’s at stake:
If SB 9 passes and Gov. Newsom signs it, the bill’s unprecedented profit incentives will draw deep pockets to the single-family “markets.” Particularly in tree-lined Black and Latino homeowner strongholds in South L.A., and the diverse Inland Empire, Greater L.A. and O.C. — plus all those desirable ‘burbs and getaways in Northern and Central California.
Join us Saturday at 10 am to jump into the Final Days of 2021 Session, ending on Sept. 10. The SB 9 and SB 10 votes on the Assembly floor could come as soon as next week!
Roll up your sleeves for a Facebook/Twitter/email/“
Video inspiration: San Fernando City Councilmember Cindy Montanez, CEO of TreePeople, urges 1,100 attendees at an anti-SB 9/SB 10 town hall to be insta-lobbyists. Match their money with our heart!
To attend you must RSVP by Friday night. USE YOUR PREVIOUSLY ASSIGNED ZOOM LINK, SENT IN EARLIER EMAILS TO YOU. DON’T SHARE YOUR UNIQUE NUMBER! DON’T ATTEND UNLESS YOUR CAMERA IS ON. THANKS!
We ask you to please DONATE to Livable California now. We are small fry, fighting deep pockets who seek to pave over thriving communities to build other communities. Your help lets us get out crucial information.